Epicure's Savoury Cheddar-Cornmeal Muffins
Easy and ideal with soup, chili or alongside a salad - or on their own for breakfast or brunch.
Cost Per Serving: 0.93
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 - 20 minutes
- 2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) cornmeal
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Epicure's Baking Powder
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) Epicure's Seasoning for Cheese, Chives & Bacon Dip
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Epicure's Louisiana Hot & Spicy Dip Mix
- 2 cups (500 ml) grated low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C).
2. Lightly spray Epicure’s Professional Muffin Pan or Epicure’s Silicone Mini-Loaf Pans with vegetable oil.
3. Combine first 5 ingredients in a mixing bowl.
4. Add 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) cheddar and stir with dry ingredients to coat. Make a well in the centre.
5. In a separate bowl, beat eggs with milk and butter. Pour into well, and stir with a wooden spoon using swift strokes. Batter will be lumpy.
6. Spoon into prepared pan, top with remaining cheddar, and bake for 15–20 minutes (may take 5–7 minutes longer if using Mini-Loaf Pans).
Using low-fat cheese is a great way to reduce fat in your recipes.
Per Serving (1 muffin) : Calories 230, Fat 11 g (Saturated 6 g, Trans 0.2 g), Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 430 mg, Carbohydrate 26 g (Fibre 2 g, Sugars 0 g), Protein 9 g.
Tips: Make Ahead: Bake a big batch, cool completely, then freeze separately until firm to prevent sticking together. Store in a large freezer bag labelled with recipe name and date. Can be frozen for up to 3 months.
July 14, 2010