Epicure’s Mulled Cider-glazed Ham
The warm, fragrant spices that give mulled drinks such rich flavour are amazing with roast meat — the aroma alone is mouth-watering!
Cost Per Serving: 3.23
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Epicure's Mulling Spices
- 6 – 8 lb (3 - 4 kg) cooked, smoked boneless ham
- 3 cups (750 ml) brown sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) maple syrup or honey
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 325° F (160° C).
2. Bring cider and Mulling Spices to a boil in Epicure’s Multi-Purpose Pot. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes to develop flavour. Strain, reserving liquid. Discard solids.
3. Place ham in Epicure’s Eclipse® Coated Roasting Pan (without rack) or casserole dish just large enough to hold it. Score top and sides in a diamond pattern. Firmly pat 1 cup (250 ml) sugar over top and sides.
4. Pour cider into pan. Loosely tent with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and, using Epicure’s Turkey Baster, baste with pan juices. Cover and continue baking for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in Epicure’s Multi-Purpose Pot, stir 2 cups (500 ml) sugar with maple syrup and orange juice over medium heat,until melted.
6. Remove foil, and spoon sugar glaze overtop ham. Bake uncovered, basting frequently with pan juices, for an additional hour, until a dark glaze forms.
7. Discard pan juices and let ham stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Ham is naturally higher in sodium than some other meats. Balance it out by serving lower sodium side dishes.
Per Serving : Calories 550, Fat 16 g (Saturated 6 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 190 mg, Sodium 140 mg, Carbohydrate 35 g (Fibre 0 g, Sugars 34 g), Protein 62 g.
Tips: Serving Suggestion: Serve with Epicure’s Skinny Scalloped Potatoes and your choice of Epicure's Roasted Root Vegetable dishes.
November 03, 2010