Sylvie’s Cherry Clafoutis [kla-foo-TEE]
Clafoutis is a French baked dessert of black cherries covered in thick, sweet custard batter.
Cost Per Serving: 0.95
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 - 50 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
2. Lightly butter a 6-cup glass or ceramic baking dish, and place on Epicure’s parchment-lined Baking Sheet.
3. Arrange cherries in baking dish and set aside.
4. To prepare batter, use Epicure’s Piano Wire Whisk to whisk together eggs, milk, Vanilla Extract and almond extract, sugar, and Poudre Douce.
5. Quickly whisk in flour, being careful not to over mix. Pour custard over cherries.
6. Bake for 40–50 minutes, until golden, set, and slightly puffy. Serve lukewarm or cold with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Per Serving : Calories 230, Fat 4 g (Saturated 1.5 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 145 mg, Sodium 65 mg, Carbohydrate 42 g (Fibre 1 g, Sugars 32 g), Protein 7 g.
Tips: Sylvie’s Tip: If you do not have any powdered sugar, you can easily make your own by whizzing granulated sugar in a spice or coffee grinder. Works like a charm!
Chef’s Tip: To save time, you can whisk all ingredients (using pitted cherries) together in a blender.
Flavour Changer: Eat with the season; try this recipe with sliced plums, nectarines, peaches, apricots, pears, or berries, instead of cherries.
June 21, 2011