Cherries & Berries Butter Tart Bar
These beautiful tarts are great for cookie exchanges and Hostess gifts.
Cost Per Serving: 0.94
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- 1/4 C ground almonds
- 1/4 C packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) salt
- 1/2 C cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 C Epicure’s Cherries & Berries
- 1/4 C unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 C packed brown sugar
- 1/4 C golden corn syrup
- Epicure’s Sea Salt, to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) Epicure’s Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) Epicure’s Baking Powder
1. Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
2. For the base, combine flour, almonds, brown sugar, and salt. With a pastry blender, cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Press mixture into a 9” (23 cm) square baking pan. Bake 8–10 minutes, until light golden. Sprinkle with Cherries & Berries.
3. Meanwhile, for filling, beat butter with brown sugar, corn syrup, and a few grindings of Sea Salt until smooth. Beat in eggs and Vanilla Extract, then flour and Baking Powder. Batter will be thick.
4. Scrape batter over warm base and bake about 25 minutes, until deep golden and centre is puffy and slightly wobbly. Cool completely before cutting.
Per Serving : Calories 250, Fat 10 g (Saturated 6 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 55 mg, Sodium 60 mg, Carbohydrate 36 g (Fibre 2 g, Sugars 26 g), Protein 2 g.
October 22, 2011