Strawberry Buttermilk Doughnuts
Cost Per Serving: 0.13
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 C(60 ml) fresh or frozen strawberries, finely chopped or puréed
- 2 C(500 ml) icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) water
- Epicure’s White Chocolate Sprinkles, to finish – optional
- 2 C(500 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) Epicure’s Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) finely ground Epicure’s Sea Salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Epicure’s Cinnamon (Ground)
- 3/4 C(180 ml) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 C(250 ml) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C(125 ml) low-fat milk, divided
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Epicure’s Pure Vanilla Extract
1. To make glaze, using Epicure’s Piano Wire Whisk, whisk all ingredients until smooth. Set aside
2. To make doughnuts, preheat oven to 400° F (205°C).
3. In a bowl, using Epicure’s Piano Wire Whisk, whisk first 4 ingredients.
4. In a second bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Slowly mix in dry mixture and milk in batches: 3 batches dry; 2 batches milk mixed with Pure Vanilla. Be careful not to over mix.
6. Using Epicure’s Silicone Basting Brush, lightly brush Doughnut Mold with vegetable oil. Pipe or spoon dough into Doughnut Mold, filling wells 2/3 full.
7. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, approximately 12–15 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
8. To glaze, dip one side of each doughnut in glaze, and twist clockwise to coat. Place plain side down on a cooling rack, and sprinkle generously with White Chocolate Sprinkles, if using. Let glaze set before serving, approximately 5 minutes.
Per Serving (Per 1 mini doughnut) : Calories 80, Fat 3 g (Saturated 2 g, Trans 0.1 g), Cholesterol 20 mg, Sodium 50 mg, Carbohydrate 13 g (Fibre 0 g, Sugars 9 g), Protein 1 g.
August 23, 2013