Epicure's Chicken Tortilla Soup
Cost Per Serving: 2.76
- 6 Tbsp (90 ml) cooking oil
- 8 — 6" (15 cm) tortillas, halved and cut crosswise into 1/4" strips
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Epicure's Chili Seasoning
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Epicure's Fajita Seasoning
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Epicure's Taco Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) Epicure's Crushed Chilies
- 6 cups (1.5 L) prepared Epicure's Chicken Bouillon or Vegetable Bouillon
- 3 cups (750 ml) crushed tomatoes with juice
- 2 Epicure's Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Epicure's Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups (500 ml) cooked chicken meat, diced or shredded
- 1/4 lb (125 g) low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) light sour cream, for garnish
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for garnish
1. Heat oil in a large Epicure's Multi-Purpose Pot over moderately high heat. Add half of the tortilla strips and cook, stirring, approximately 1 minute, or until golden. Repeat with second batch of tortilla strips. Drain on paper towels, salt lightly and set aside.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic and Epicure's Seasonings. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
3. Add Epicure's Chicken Bouillon, tomatoes, Epicure's Bay Leaves, Epicure's Sea Salt, cilantro and 1/3 cooked tortilla strips. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove Epicure's Bay Leaves.
4. Purée soup in batches in a blender, returning to the pot. Add chicken or turkey and bring soup back to a simmer.
5. Ladle into bowls, top with remaining cooked tortilla strips, cheddar, a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of cilantro. Serve with lime wedges on the side.
Per Serving : Calories 390, Fat 20 g (Saturated 4 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 50 mg, Sodium 720 mg, Carbohydrate 27 g (Fibre 5 g, Sugars 6 g), Protein 24 g.
Tips: Serving Suggestion: Serve with a salad and prepared Epicure's Dressing.
January 27, 2011